“I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
Decades ago, Martin Luther King Jr., gave his epochal speech, I Have a Dream. He died, but his dream has become our reality. This is because he dared first to dream, then to embrace his dream, and give voice and force to his dream.
It all began with a dream. Nothing happens without a dream, a desire, a mental picture of what you want your life to be like. Everyone dreams, but many just shove it away as wishful thinking to face what they refer to as “cold harsh reality”. But there are a few who realise that dreams are the seeds of the future, the ruder which steers the ship of our lives. To abandon them is to leave oneself at the mercy of the strong winds of life and to merely go where life leads; to abandon your dreams is to sell yourself short.
Here I give six anchors to the soul of any dreamer:
- Do not be afraid to dream, it’s free.
- Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without a dream.
- Be willing to work and make sacrifices for your dream.
- Refuse to give thought to failure.
- Stick to reasons to continue rather than excuses to quit.
- If at the end you fail, at least you tried.